Today on this auspicious vishu day I would like to present you all with a very delicious curry which is predominantly made in central kerala from cochin , thrissur and palakkad. No sadya is complete without serving kalan and it has various versions too , but here I have made a kurukku kalan which is thicker than the other kalan . Kalan is a yogurt based curry made with raw plantain and yam flavoured with black pepper and chilli powder, and once you make it you will be hooked to the taste of it . I personally love any kind of curries made based on yogurt , so kalan is one my favourite curries . Normally for big sadyas the vegetables are cooked before and on the day of sadya the yogurt and coconut mixture is added to it .
Lets see how to make this delicious curry !!!
I am sure you will enjoy this
- Raw Plantain - 1 medium sized
- Yam- 1 cup (cubed)
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly powder- 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Green chilly- 1 no
- Cumin Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt- 11/4 cup
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Whole red chillies- 3 no
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as needed
- 1. Cut Raw plantains and yams into cubes and keep it aside . I used frozen yam so I thawed it thoroughly before I cooked it .
- 2. In a sauce pan place these vegetables, add some water a pinch of turmeric , chilly powder and pepper powder
- 3. Cook the vegetables very well till the water is dry and the vegetables are cooked , if the vegetables are not cooked when the water is dry add more water to it
- 4. While the vegetable is cooking grind coconut , green chillies and cumin into a smooth paste . Add yogurt to grind instead of water
- 5. When the vegetables are cooked add one teaspoon ghee and the yogurt to it . The yogurt should be beaten to very smooth . I used greek yogurt for my kalan and it became really thick
- 6. Keep it on the flame and stir it continuously on medium heat . Stir till a boil comes but be careful not to curdle the yogurt . Add the coconut mixture and enough salt to it and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- 7. In another pan heat oil crackle mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds , whole red chillies and curry leaves
- 8. Add this tempering to the prepared kalan .
- 9. Serve with rice . Kurukku kalan becomes thicker when it sits longer