Today I am bringing you all a a very delicious staple breakfast dish from western parts of India . this dish is famous in several states around India , I made one which is closer to the one made in the state of Maharashtra . This recipe is not an authentic one , its my take on this delicious dish , I have adopted flavours from few south Indian dishes because I like to do that with every dish I cook . So if you see there is a difference from the authentic recipe what your mom or mother in law might have taught you , please don’t punish me LOL 😉 . So I dont have much to talk about this recipe , its not taught nay my mom , I learned it as a necessity after I moved to canada in 2012 because my husband loves it .
When I made it for the first time , I messed it up so much this dish turned out to be a big goop of carb lol . Then I had to watch several videos , read a bit how to make it properly without making a goopy mess . I have watched a lot of videos like veg recipes of India , vah re vah , manjulas kitchen , nishamadhullika ; I can’t determine from where I formulated this recipe I think its a mix from all these .
So I am going to stop blabbering and give you the recipe .
- Poha (Rice Flakes)- 11/2 cups
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt- As needed
- Oil - 4 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Whole red Chilies - 2 to 3
- Ginger - Chopped 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida- A pinch
- Peanuts - Crushed 2 tablespoon
- Onion - 1/2 medium sized chopped
- Potatoes - One medium sized cubes
- Green Chillies - 1 or 2 chopped finely
- Cilantro - Chopped 2 tablespoon
- Sugar- A pinch
- Lemon Juice - From one lemon
- Water - As needed
- 1. First we need to make the poha softer , if you dont do that you won't be able to make nice fluffy poha for breakfast . Place poha , 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder and salt in a sieve , run water through it . When the poha is soaked enough then gently using hands mix it .
- 2. In a skillet heat 3 tablespoon oil then add chopped potatoes to it . Pan fry till the potatoes are golden brown then keep it aside
- 3. To the same skillet add one tablespoon oil, crackle half teaspoon of mustard seeds , then add ginger , green chillies saute well now add onions and saute till its transparent
- 4. When the onion is transparent add crushed peanuts to it and give it a stir . Now add the cooked potatoes to it little turmeric powder and stir . Add the prepared poha to it give it a good stir and keep it away from the heat
- 5. In a another small pan heat little oil add the rest of the mustard seeds to it, let it crackle . Add whole red chillies , asafoetida , lemon juice and almost 1/4 cup water . Add sugar to it bring it to a boil , add this mixture to the prepared poha give it a stir . Save with chopped cilantro and another squeeze of lemon juice . Enjoy it with a hot cup of ginger tea .
I hope you all liked this recipe and I am looking forward to hear from you all .
I would love to hear from you all if you try my recipe , let me know by instagram , Facebook or pinterest