Hope you all enjoyed my recipes in blueberry series . Now I want to introduce you all to a very traditional Indian Summer drink , with a small twist of my own . This drink is very popular in different parts of India , known through different names such as Chaas/ morum vellam/ sambharam. This is a drink made out of buttermilk or thinned down yogurt with some freshly ground spiced . I am bringing you all a spiced buttermilk which is very famous in western parts of India where it gets very hot , so the yogurt and freshly pound spices brings down your body heat. I have adapted my recipe from Tarla dalal, you can check the recipe here . Mine is not an original or authentic recipe , it’s just an adaptation with a variation of my own .
My twist to this recipe is the addition of a fruit which is only found in India . This is known as Jamun/ Indian Java Plum or in malayalam we call it athi pazham/ Njaval Pazham. It is only found in hot and humid countries and it’s used in various ways. You can read more about Indian Java Plum and it’s benefits here . I have always wanted to use this fruit in something and I happen to read about Jamun Raita , so I was like why don’t I make a drink out of it . The fruit is bit pungent so I have used few more ingredients than in the original recipe . It was much required to adjust the recipe like that otherwise it wouldn’t be an enjoyable drink.
Now Let’s see how to make this drink
- Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
- Ginger- chopped 1 tsp
- Green Chilly- one or two (depending how much heat you want )
- Yoghurt- 1 cup
- Water- 2 to 3 cups
- Jamun- 1 cup (Check Notes)
- Black Salt- as needed
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Crushed Red Chillies - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- 1. If you are using frozen Jamun , make sure it has thaws thoroughly . Remove seeds from Jamun and roughly chop it keep it aside.
- 2. Now dry roast cumin seeds , poster it coarsely and keep it aside.
- 3. In a big bowl beat yogurt with 1 cup water and keep it aside
- 4. In a blender place Jamun , cumin seed powder , ginger and green chilly , blend it smooth using the beaten yoghurt water mixture .
- 5. Now your drink is ready , season it with black salt as required
- 6. In a pan heat oil add crushed red chillies and mustard seeds to it .
- 7. Carefully spoon this mixture as a garnish before you serve the drink.
- 8.Serve the Chaas cold
- 1. I used frozen Jamun here , feel free to use fresh if you have access to it.
I hope you all liked this recipe , if so give me a thumbs up , like it and share this love everywhere .