Hello Everyone !!!
It is that time of the year again , where all the festivities have marked it’s start and it’s my favorite of the year . The recipe which I am bringing today is a payasam/ pudding made out of lentils , jaggery , coconut milk and ghee. The lentil which I have used here is split yellow mung , also known as cheru parippu in malayalam , pasi parippu in tamil or split yellow moong in hindi.
I am bringing this delicious dessert to you all during this auspicious time of Navaratri. “Navaratri is a festival dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity Durga. The word Navaratri means ‘nine nights’ in Sanskrit, navameaning nine and ratri meaning nights. During these nine nights and ten days, nine forms of Devi are worshipped. The tenth day is commonly referred to as Vijayadashami or “Dussehra” (Wikipedia). In Kerala (A southern state in India where I come from), we celebrate the last three days of Navaratri as a Saraswathi pooja ( Saraswathi is a Hindu Deity & Pooja means prayer ) , where books are worshipped and they are taken out for reading & writing after the pooja (All facts are adapted from wikipedia)
I have made this indulging pudding using all the good ingredients ; lentils, jaggery, coconut milk and ghee . This is such an easy recipe to make with just few ingredients put together and trust me your entire family will love this . You can make this vegan by substituting coconut oil instead , still it will taste delicious without ghee in it . The wonderful aroma of this pudding while you make it is so tempting that you might want to eat it hot off the pan . Now let’s get into how to make this tempting pudding
- Yellow Mung – 1/2 cup uncooked
- Jaggery (Grated or chopped into small pieces )- 1/2 cup
- Coconut Milk- 1/2 cup (I used freshly extracted coconut milk, check in the notes how to do that )
- Ghee- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Cardamom- 2 pods crushed
- Chopped cashewnuts- 1 teaspoon
- Raisins- 1 teaspoon
- 1. In a pressure cook the yellow mung till it is soften and mashed . If you don’t have a pressure cooker , you can cook this on a stove top but you need to cook for 20 minutes or till it is mashed up .
- 2. In a pan place jaggery and 2-3 tablespoons of water , in medium heat let the jaggery melt . After the jaggery have melted strain it to remove impurities , place the melted jaggery back in the pan.
- 3. To this jaggery add the mashed lentil and cook till it thickens .
- 4. Reduce heat to low and add coconut milk to it , give it a good stir .
- 5. Now add crushed cardamom and cook it till it thickens
- 6. In another pan heat some ghee fry raisins and cashew nuts, keep it aside
- 7. Add this to the cooked payasam and one or two tablespoons of ghee for flavour .
- How to extract fresh coconut milk
- 1. Blend one cup grated coconut and half cup hot water in a blender , then squeeze out the milk using your hand