Since it is still cold & grey all around at this part of the world I would like to bring you all a soup recipe to warm your heart & body . A soul soothing and heart warming soup made from sweet potatoes with thai inspired flavours and then thinned out with some delicious coconut milk . So when I said thai flavours you must be thinking is this going to be vegetarian or does it have some hidden ingredients which are not vegetarian . But the good news is this soup is not only vegetarian but also vegan so it’s suitable if you have any kind of lactose intolerance or allergies .
This soup is made from real & simple ingredients without any additives or colours added extra . The flavour is from all natural ingredients and cooked with a lot of love . Most of the thai dishes does use palm sugar to finish the dishes , so the sweetness of the sweet potatoes really complements with the other bold flavours in the soup . Also it is super filling you actually don’t need to serve it with any kind of bread , just a slightly tossed spinach salad would really go with the soup , but if you wanna thick crusty bread oh yeah go for it.
Oh another thing I want to tell you is this soup was made in a very very easy method made in my favourite gadget called Instapot . Dont worry people if you dont have an instapot , you can always use a pressure cooker or even just a stove top sauce pan would also work . Only difference on a sauce pan it would take longer but in a pressure cooker it would faster , but in the instapot it will be done in a jiffy , isn’t that cool ? LOL
I think I should explain to you how to make the soup now , instead of boring you with all these stuff LOL
- Thai Chilles - 2 or 3 (more if you want it hurt your a@$ LOL)
- Lemon Grass- chopped 1 tablespoon
- Onion - 3 to 4 shallots / 2 tablespoon chopped yellow onions
- Galangal- 1 inch piece
- Cilantro Stalks- 1/2 tablespoon (You can use the leaves for the soup)
- Onions - half of a medium sized onion chopped finely
- Garlic- 3 cloves chopped finely
- Sweet Potatoes - 2 medium sized cubed
- Kaffir Lime leaves - 7 no
- Cilantro leaves - finely chopped 1/2 tablespoon
- Paprika - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - as needed
- Lime Juice - 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Coconut Oil - 1/2 tablespoon
- Water- 3 to 4 cups
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- 1. In a blender place all the ingredients for the thai paste with little water and blend it till smooth like really smooth . You can also use some thin coconut milk to blend the paste .
- 2. I will be explaining the method of making the soup in the Instapot here and will give the press cooker & stove top options in the notes
- 3. In the Instapot turn on the saute mode when the pot is hot add oil then add onions , garlic to it saute for 30 seconds .
- 4. Now add sweet potatoes , 2 tablespoons of the thai paste feel free to add more if you want it spicy .Add all the ingredients for the soup except the lime juice and coconut milk to the pot .
- 5. Cancel the Saute mode turn on manual , close the lid and 5 minutes on manual .
- 6. When the five minutes is up wait till the pressure releases naturally , open the lid then cool it little bit and puree it smoothly in a blender .
- 7. Now put back this puree into the instapot back , turn on saute mode add lime juice and coconut milk mix it add salt if required .
- 8. Turn off and garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot .
- 1.So if you dont have an Instapot do not worry amigo , you can use a pressure cooker . If you are using a pressure cooker its the same method but it will take a bit longer to cook and naturally release the pressure.
- 2. What if you dont have a pressure cooker either , no worries mate a good old sauce pan would do the charm but the cooking time will be like 20 minutes .. And you may need to watch it closely to avoid any kind of mishaps
I am super excited about the whole thing , are you going to make it .. If you are making it please please please show it to me I will be so happy to see it