I am back to blogging , after taking a sabbatical of long six months lol .. I missed my favourite thing in the world to do , make food , style it , shoot it and share the love with the world . First of all I would like to apologize to everybody for leaving blogging with out further notice , new job , India trip, a tiny injury all these added up . Now looks like I have got my mojo back to write things and publish them , which I enjoy doing the most and satisfies me . With few new year resolutions here I am back with blogging and I will be exploring a lot of new flavours and dishes this time instead of just sticking to traditional dishes , but I will most certainly few traditional dishes as well.
Now I need to really start talking about the recipe , so lets get into the basics about Salade Nicoise what it is and why I chose this salad as my coming back recipe.
What is this Salad ?
Pronounced as Ni Swaz , this salad originated from the Nice region of France. (Wikipedia)
It is traditionally made with hard boiled eggs , tomatoes , olives , olive oil and Tuna then garnished with Anchovies , some people even add vegetables like red peppers , green beans and/ or potatoes .I have made tons of differences from the traditional salad , I have used salmon instead on tuna , I have made a dressing with grainy mustard to give an extra kick to it . This salad is protein rich with all the good ingredients in it and if you can prep before hand you can have a delicious lunch at your desk as well .
- Micro greens/ Baby Spinach/ Spring Mix / Baby Kale - 1 cup
- Green Beans - one fist full
- Salmon - 1/2 cup flaked
- Hard boiled eggs - 1
- Cherry Tomatoes - 5 or 6
- Potatoes - one medium
- Olives- 1 tablespoon
- Anchovies- 3 to 4 pieces
- Lemon Juice - 3 tablespoon
- Olive Oil- 4 tablespoon
- Grainy Mustard - 1 Tablespoon
- Salt & Pepper - as needed
- 1. First and foremost we need to make salmon , we can't have raw salmon right lol . Preheat your oven to 400 F . In a baking sheet line with parchment paper , place the salmon sprinkle salt & pepper and brush 2 tablespoons of olive oil on it . Let the salmon cook for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven and we will prep the other ingredients
- 2. Make hard boiled eggs , peel and keep it aside . Slightly blanch the green beans because we need a crunch to the beans it shouldn't be overcooked . Also boil the potatoes , it would be good idea to steam it instead of cooking it in water or pressure cooking it . Do not cut the potatoes , you need to use the whole potatoes , I repeat DO NOT CUT THE POTATOES
- 3. So now we have all the ingredients to be cooked ready except salmon because its still in the oven glistening with olive oil with all its glory .
- 4. And it's the time to whip up our salad dressing . Place all the ingredients for dressing in a bowl and using a fork just break the anchovies down an whisk it thats all , isn't that easy .
- 5. Our salmon is ready its cooked yaay . So i am sure you all know we can't use hot ingredients for a salad lol . SO all these prep work can either be done in the afternoon to have the salad in the night or the night before to have the salad for lunch . When the salmon is cooked flake it and keep the chunks in the fridge as well
- 6. Now the drum roll we are going to assemble THE SALAD
- Place the greens first , then the green beans , then fish , then cherry tomatoes , then potatoes , then hard boiled eggs , then the olives and slightly toss it with the salad dressing . Thats it finish it with sea salt and you are all good to go .
- 7. Grab your favourite wine and enjoy this deliciousness to your hearts content
I hope you all enjoyed my recipe , you have to promise me that you are going to make this at home and you are gonna flaunt pictures everywhere