It is time for another yummy and mouthwatering recipe from crackleandtemper . I would like to present you all a spicy beet root rasam, which is a twist on the regular rasam . In my home my mom literally makes rasam out of any vegetable, I remember eating her carrot rasam while I was growing up . So couple of days back I thought why shouldn’t I make rasam out of beet root, then I did some research read few articles and websites and I realised that it is possible . It seems at some parts of karnataka and andhra this is a very famous rasam . I never knew about it till couple of weeks back my research helped me learn about it.
Beet root is a root vegetable which contains a lot of vitamins and minerals . The distinct red colour is one of it’s peculiarity and that’s what the beauty of this rasam “The colour”. I have made it with little bit of grated coconut spiked with tamarind and finished off with a garlic and mustard tempering . This rasam can be enjoyed either with rice or as a soup itself .
Lets get into the recipe
- Beets - 2 small cut into quarters
- Tamarind- 1 grape size
- Grated Coconut- 3 tbsp
- Whole Red Chilly- 2 no
- Curry Leaves- 1 sprig
- Coriander Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds-1/4tsp
- Green Chillies- 2 no
- Jaggery- 1 small piece (optional)
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt- as needed
- Cilantro- chopped for garnish
- 1.Slightly steam or microwave beets with little water till it is soft . While the beets are getting cooked soak tamarind in hot water , extract the tamarind juice and keep it aside
- 2. In pan saute coconut , whole red chillies, curry leaves , coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds . Saute it only for 2 or 3 minutes , keep it aside and cool it
- 3. Grind this coconut mixture with the cooked beets
- 4. Place the tamarind water in a pan and bring that to a boil
- 5. To this add the ground beet and coconut mixture, slit green chillies , salt and jaggery . Bring this mixture to a boil
- 6.In a separate pan make a tempering of mustard seeds and garlic . Pour that over this prepared rasam .
- 7. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice