Avial is one of the most popular kerala dishes , it is very easy to make and healthy as well.It is generally made with a mixture of vegetables , coconut , cumin , green chillies , curry leaves and flavoured with coconut oil. The vegetables I have used here is yam , egg plant , drumstick , carrot , potatoes , kovakkai(tindora), string beans . A souring agent is very key for avial normally tamarind , raw mangoes or sour curd is used for it I have used raw mangoes for it .
There are several interesting stories behind the origin of Avial . The most common which I have heard from my mother is several years back during a marriage feast the main chef had a lot of left over vegetables . Instead of wasting it he cooked it in a mixture of ground coconut and cumin finished with coconut oil and curry leaves . Another interesting story is from Mahabharat where Bhim invented this dish while he assumed the identity of a cook while in exile .
Avial is a very easy dish to make, tastes great and very healthy too. It is cooked in very less oil and it has an amazing flavour of cumin and green chillies .
Lets see how to make this delicious vegetable dish with tons of flavors bursting from it ..
- Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup ( check notes)
- Grated Coconut- 1/2 cup
- Green Chilly- 2 no
- Cumin Seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Raw mango- 1/4 cup diced (check notes for alternative )
- Coconut Oil - 1tbsp
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
- Salt - as needed
- Turmeric powder- a pinch
- 1.Chop all the vegetables into the following size little bit thicker than matchstick.
- 2. Cook these vegetables with little water and turmeric
- 3. While the vegetables are cooking , in a food processor grind coconut , cumin seeds and green chilly. Do not make a fine paste you only need to pulse it 2 or 3 times with little water
- 4. When the vegetables are cooked , add raw mango to it and cook for five minutes in medium flame . Please make sure the vegetables are not burning or dry . If it is too dry you can add some water to it
- 5. Add the ground coconut mixture to it , salt and water if needed . Cook this for atleast 10
- minutes in medium to low heat .
- 6. Finish with coconut oil and curry leaves . Serve hot with rice
- What kind of vegetables to use in Avial
- You can literally use any vegetables but avoid using beetroot because of the colour it imparts . I used carrot , drumstick , string beans , tindora , yam , raw banana and egg plant
- Substitute for raw mango
- If you cannot get raw mango you can also use soaked tamarind juice or sour yoghurt